Kansas Open Records Act
REPUBLIC COUNTY HOSPITAL, OPERATED UNDER LEASE BY, GREAT PLAINS OF REPUBLIC COUNTY, INC.
POLICY AND PROCEDURE
OBTAINING COPIES OF OR ACCESS TO PUBLIC RECORDS
PURSUANT TO THE KANSAS OPEN RECORDS ACT- KORA
K.S.A. 45-215 ET SEQ.
("OPEN RECORDS POLICY")
OFFICE HOURS: 8 A.M. TO 5 P.M., Monday -Friday, except official state holidays.
DESIGNATED CUSTODIAN/ FREEDOM OF INFORMATION OFFICER: Allison Huff, Privacy Officer, is the person designated by Great Plains of Republic County, Inc. ("we" and "us") as the official custodian of public records authorized to accept requests for copies or access to public records under this Open Records Policy and to fulfill the responsibilities as designated custodian and local freedom of information officer for this organization. Questions related to this Open Records Policy and official requests for public records may also be directed to our Corporate Compliance Officer, Faye Jones, at the address below.
PRIVACY OFFICER FOR MEDICAL RECORDS: All requests for medical records containing any protected health information are exempt from disclosure pursuant to K.S.A. § 45-221(a)(3), but may be obtained with patient authorization, or as otherwise permitted under our HIPAA Policy, by sending a written request with a proper release of information to our Privacy Officer, Attention: HIM Department, Release of Information at the address below.
WRITTEN REQUEST: We require that requests for access to or copies of public records be made in writing in order to adequately document the request and clarify exactly what records are being sought. All requests for records shall state the requester's name, mailing address, and a contact phone number. The requester should provide detailed information about the records being requested to aid the staff in determining if such records exist and are possessed by us. Requests for records not yet in existence or documents to be created prospectively cannot be honored. Requests for public records should be made to Designated Custodian stated above at the following address:
Republic County Hospital
Attention: Designated Custodian of Public Records
2420 G Street
Belleville, Kansas 66935
Facsimile: (785) 527-2800
RESPONSE TIME: We will act upon requests as soon as possible, with some response being made to the requester no later than three (3) business days following the receipt of the written request. If it appears that additional time will be needed, fees will be assessed, or some of the records may be closed by law, a written response will be provided as soon as the records have been located and reviewed. The response may deny your request or limit or refuse the disclosure of any record, in whole or in part, where the records that are not subject to the Kansas Open Meetings Act and/or are not subject to mandatory disclosure or are exempt from disclosure pursuant to K.S.A. § 45-221, K.S.A. § 45-230, or as otherwise provided by Kansas law. If the request is denied, we will identify generally the records to be denied and the specific legal authority for the denial.
FEES: The following rates shall apply:
1. COPIES: 1-50 copies will be provided at no charge. Copies 51 and up will be at the following rate:
●$4.16/15 minute increments for labor
●$.04/page for supplies
●Postage if the request is to be mailed
2. For a request of electronic copies of electronically maintained PHI, a flat fee of $6.50 will be charged to the requestor to include all labor, supplies, and any applicable postage.
3. ADDITIONAL FEES: Any other costs incurred by us in connection with complying with a record request may be assessed to the requester. We will provide an estimate of the fees which shall be paid prior to us gathering the records. However, in order to assure payment, the final cost of providing access to or furnishing copies must be paid before the records are provided. If the final cost is less than the estimate, the requestor will be reimbursed for the difference. Payment may be made by check or money order. Returned checks will incur an additional fee of $30.
4. FAXING AND AIR EXPRESS DELIVERY: Generally, records may be faxed if the request is for fewer than 15 pages and fax time and facilities are readily available. If air express delivery is requested, the requester shall arrange for pick up and packaging of the records and all associated costs for such delivery shall be paid by the requester. The record custodian has sole discretion as to whether to honor requests for faxing or express delivery. The costs of any requested delivery will be paid by the requestor.
5. If the cost of providing records presents a barrier/hardship to the requestor, records will be released at no charge.
6. Copy costs will be adjusted annually based on increases or decreases in labor and/or supplies. If there are no changes, costs will remain as above.
DISPLAY: This Open Records Policy will be displayed on our official website and other places through our facility as directed by the Designated Custodian.